Giving My Kitchen Some Love

So Like I said before, I have been saving up fabric money. This project is one of the reasons why.

I found the easy tutorial for it at Craftzine. It was authored by Hannah. Remember her with her super duper cute blog? Knick Knacks & Ric Rac. Yeah, I'm a creepy blog stalker, but I don't care, I have a cute new rug in my kitchen.

Lucky for me felt was on some kind of crazy sale so I picked up a bunch, without dropping too much cash.

I needed something in my kitchen. It's kinda drab in there, and one of the promises I made to myself this year was to cook a lot more. I want more control over what the hubby and I eat. That means learning to cook.

So with my new rug in place, and my kitchen nice and cozy, I got straight to work baking the bread, and making my morning granola for the week.

This next bit is a glimpse into my brain, and how sometimes I just don't think fully before I get an idea.

Not only do I want more control over what we eat, but I also want to reduce the amount of disposable packaging that I toss in the recycling each week. The idea was, if I take the two things that I eat the most (bread and cereal), that come in disposable packaging, make them myself, and store them in reusable/recycled containers, I would be doing a good thing.

Well not so much. It didn't occur to me until after all the shopping was finished, and I put all the ingredients away, that while I didn't have cereal boxes, and bread bags to dispose of, I still had the packaging from ALL the ingredients to dispose of. Ugh...

I'm not always that bright.

But I did succeed in making my first ever loaf of 100% whole wheat bread! I also made a bread bag from a sizeable plaid scrap that I had tucked away. I took pleasure in telling the hubby that "I whipped it up while the bread was baking." Yeah, I whipped something up while the bread was baking. :)

GET THAT DUCKY AWAY FROM MY BREAD!

And I made my first batch of granola ever! It's a hundred times better than store bought. If you haven't nibbled warm granola straight from the oven, I suggest trying it at least once in your life.

...Uh-Oh, that duck is coming for my cereal!!!

While I may not have been able to accomplish my goal of becoming less wasteful, I did manage to save plenty of money on food by making it at home.

Easy granola recipe.

I love chocolate granola! I'm a grown up, so I can eat chocolate for breakfast if I want to! I'm giving you my chocolate almond recipe, but with the base granola recipe, you can make any kind you want.

**Basic granola recipe**

2 cups oats. Not quick oats. Quick oats won't be as crunchy, and may taste kinda funny. I bought mine in bulk from the local health food store.
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 Tbs. dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 Tbs. water
 **extras**
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/3 cup hemp seeds
2 handfulls semi-sweet chocolate chips

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Coat a 9x13" metal pan with a bit of oil. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Don't mix in the chocolate, hemp seeds, and almonds yet. Bring all wet ingredients to a low simmer over low heat. Drizzle wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and mix well. Pour mixture onto your metal pan. Squeeze the cereal into small clumps to create clusters. Place into your oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add the chocolate, almonds, and hemp seeds. Mix together, working fast, cause your chocolate will start melting. Place back into oven for 15 more minutes. Let cool, and store in an air tight container.

Don't be afraid of the hemp seeds. They have tons of protein, and amino acids. They have a nutty flavor which really isn't strong. NO, they won't get you high. I have been eating hemp seeds in my cereal for years, and I love it.

The cool part of this recipe is, you can add what ever extras you want. Such as dried fruit, and nuts. As long as your extras equal 1 cup, and you add them to your pan before the last 15 minutes of cooking.

The more I experiment with this recipe, the more I will post. I love granola.

 **Keep your eyes peeled for my next post. It may be a day or two...or three, but I have quite the surprise for you. I am about to hit a milestone, and I'm in the mood to celebrate.**

4 comments:

Carrie said...

love the rug thanks so much for the recipe I have been wanting to make some for awhile :D I will let you know how it turns out!

carrie

krista said...

it's almost fool proof. i think i'm gonna try apple cinnamon next. yum

Ruthie said...

Hi :-) You know, you'll get A LOT of bread and granola with the same amount of packaging making them by scratch as you would get if you bought the premade stuff. Plus it tastes better and is healthier!

Oh, and check out bulk bins at health food stores, you can usually bring you own containers and reuse them over and over. I've been using the same zipper freezer bag for oatmeal and organic sugar for awhile. :-)

Love your blog!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails