Fun With Bias Tape

Some time ago, I bought a big box of vintage bias tape from this lovely Etsy shop. Opendoor Studio.


How pretty is her shop by the way?

When I bought this, I had a few specific projects in mind for it, but I soon found that I had way more bias tape than I needed. I now had an urge to find unconventional ways of using all this stuff.

So I wove all kinds of colors together to make a crazy pillow cover.



*What you need to make a 14"x14" woven pillow cover.


* A 14"x14" pillow form
* A 15 1/2" x 15 1/2" square of fabric
* A 15 1/2" x 9" rectangle of fabric
* A 15 1/2" x 10" rectangle of fabric
* Aprox. 52 strips of bias tape around 17" in length
* An iron
* Scissors, thread, pins, measuring tape.

Measure your fabric, and cut the panels accordingly. The square will be covered up by the bias tape, but the two rectangles will be seen, so pick out some cute fabric.

Next, cut your bias tape to the measurements provided, and lay 26 of them out horizontally onto your fabric square. This is done mainly to see where you want your colors to go, what you like, and what you don't like. You can use a bajillion different colors like I did, or you can stick to one or two. I like a lot of randomness, so I kinda just placed the colors in a very random order. I also left about 2" sticking out on either side.


After you have 26 strips laid out, go ahead and press them with your iron just a bit to get them to lay flat.


Here's the tricky part. You have to sew them onto your square. Since pinning each strip proves to be time consuming, and annoying, I chose not to pin them. Instead I laid out a few strips at a time, and slowly stitched them on. Oftentimes, lifting my presser foot, placing a few more strips down, and stitching. Stitch all the strips on, sewing down one edge of the square, and cut the thread once you reach the end.


Now turn your square around, and sew down the loose ends on the other side. Be sure that your strips are laid down flat, and straight. Don't pull them too taught, of you will ruin your project.


Now that you have stitched those on, take the rest of your bias tape strips, and lay them down vertically in a pattern that you like.


Press them a bit, and...

Stitch on one side, but one side only. Be sure to not stitch that last horizontal strip of tape to the fabric. If you do, you will not be able to weave. Cut the thread once you reach the end, and remove from your machine.


Now for the fun. WEAVING! Take one of your vertical strips, and begin to weave over and under your horizontal strips, alternating each one.


With each row that you weave, push down on the strip a bit to make room for the other strips. It takes a bit of jimmying towards the end, but as long as all of your strips are lying straight, you should have no problems.


Now go ahead and stitch down the last side of your square, securing the loose ends.


Next, hem the long ends of your rectangles. About half an inch.


Place the square right side up, place your wider rectangle (right side down) on top of it, and your smaller rectangle (right side down) on top of that. Make sure your right sides are together, and your edges match up. Now go ahead and sew around all 4 sides, leaving a 1/2" seam allowance.


Trim all the excess bias tape that is sticking out.  Now turn it right side out, pushing out all of your corners, and stuff your pillow in there.



HOORAY!!! All done!

15 comments:

Opendoor Studio said...

this is brilliant. I just love the idea, I love that you posted it for others to try.. and I love that you LOVE my shop. please come visit me from time to time.
thanks bunches for sharing.
martha

krista said...

Thanks Martha.

That was one of my favorite Etsy purchases. :)

casserole said...

This is absolutely lovely! And such a great tutorial!

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-woven-bias-tape-throw-pillow/2009/10/19/

--Anne

ElegantSnobbery said...

Oh that is ADORABLE!! Definitely going to round up some vintage bias tape!! Love that pillow!

Nancy said...

I love the tutorial. I would never thought of using bias tape in that way, great idea.

krista said...

thanks everybody. :)

Fe said...

I really like the way your pillow turned out. Great job and thanks for the tutorial. :-)

krista said...

i'm glad you liked it fe. :)

DMcDaris said...

....love the pillow....thanks for sharing....Deniece

krista said...

thank you deniece :)

June Pfaff Daley said...

I absolute love this pillow. I too aquired a HUGE box of bias tape (at a yard sale.) Never been quite sure what to do with all of those lovely colors and patterns. Now I know...

krista said...

thanks june and visart.

june i also made a handbag the same way. i'm not much of a bag maker, but i think it turned out pretty good.

i had to find other ways to utilize my stash, cause for a while, all the clothes i was making ended up trimmed in bias tape. :)

Nereashop said...

Hi i'm Monica from Italy :) i'm trying to learn sew and i can see that you are very good!!

i'll follow your blog :)
i love cross stitch too
CIAO
Monica

P.S. congratulation for your anniversary :) you seem a very happy nice people!

krista said...

Thank you for your nice comment Nerashop. :)

My grandma taught me how to cross stitch when I was little, but I haven't done it since. I would love to pick it back up.

Related Posts with Thumbnails